May 30, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Granola Bars

I did it.  I actually made a recipe I found on Pinterest.  Last Friday I took the day off work and spent it with Lil' Sis.  I love cooking with the girls and was really excited to have the opportunity to have this one-on-one time with her.






We made Chocolate Chip Pretzel Granola Bars.  A year ago we found out that Big Sis is allergic to cashews and pecans.  This means she cannot eat pretty much any store bought granola bars as they say they may have tree nuts in them.  Since discovering that, I've been on a mission to find yummy granola bars we can make ourselves.


Here's the recipe I used, which is slightly different than the one I found on Pinterest.
  • 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 cup Rice Krispies
  • 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
  • butter to grease the pan
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips


1. Spread the oats on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas and then mix in the peanut butter and honey until smooth.
3. Mix the oats, Rice Krispies and pretzels into the banana mixture
4. Pour the mixture into a greased 8x12" baking pan.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
5. When the granola bars have cooled, press the chocolate chips into the top of the bars. Wait until they're completely cool before you cut the bars.

These were easy enough to make. But I will say, if you do not like banana bread, you will probably not like these.  I didn't.  Neither did Big Sis.  Lil' Sis, on the other hand, loved them!  She cannot get enough of them.  So maybe they are good, but I will not make these again.  They are worth a try though if you do like banana bread as it is a great recipe to use up ripe bananas.  The pretzel, chocolate and peanut butter combination is pretty tempting, too!


While the recipe didn't turn out that well for me, the quality time with Lil' Sis was fabulous.  She is a hard worker and really interested in learning how to bake.  Hopefully in a few years she will be making goodies for the rest of us on a regular basis!  Trying a new recipe every week will be a great way to get the girls more interested in baking and cooking.


I cannot wait to see what we make next...!

This post is linked up with Works for Me Wednesday.  Go there for more great ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment